A man accused of strangling his ex-girlfriend and burying her in her garden has told a court they had split up over the death of their pet dog.
French film producer Laureline Garcia-Bertaux, 34, was discovered in a shallow grave at her home in Kew, south-west London, on 5 March.
Kirill Belorusov told the Old Bailey they separated a week after their Rottweiler was put down, and he had owed her nothing at the time.
The 32-year-old denies murder.
The court previously heard Mr Belorusov owed the victim thousands of pounds, and he had tricked his way into her home where he strangled her.
Giving evidence, he said he moved to London in 2009 and began dating Ms Garcia-Bertaux after meeting her at a gig.
“We spent the whole of the night walking and walking and walking, and in the morning I decided to get to her place and she invited me over. She said ‘yes’ and I never left,” he said.
Speaking about their relationship, Russian national Mr Belorusov said they argued “like any couple” over food and money “but everything was OK”.
He said they had separated in 2016 after “a slow build-up over years” and at the time their dog Jazz was “the only thing connecting us”.
The jury has heard Mr Belorusov avoided paying back money he owed to Ms Garcia-Bertaux by pretending to have cancer and there was no record of him receiving treatment at hospitals in London.
However, he insisted he had suffered from cancer with “pancreatic complications” and went on drug trials in Sussex, Kent and Ipswich, the court has heard.
The trial continues.
A fourth teenager has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of a boy at a chicken shop in central London.
Josiph Beker, 17, was stabbed to death outside Edgware Road KFC, Westminster, at about 14:00 BST on 10 September.
A 16-year-old boy was arrested on Sunday in connection with the murder. He remains in custody.
Two 16-year-old boys were charged with murder on Saturday. An 18-year-old arrested over the murder has been bailed pending further inquiries.
A man in his 60s has been stabbed to death in west London.
Emergency services were called to St Mary’s Avenue South in Southall at 18:40 BST on Saturday where they found the man suffering from a stab wound.
He was pronounced dead at the scene and his next of kin have been informed, the Met Police said.
A man in his 30s has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is in hospital under police guard being treated for minor injuries.
According to a witness who gave the injured man first aid, he was stabbed after leaving a pub.
Raj Grover, who lives near to the victim, said he was getting ready to go to his own birthday party when the man knocked on his front door.
“He was ringing our doorbell,” he told the PA news agency. “He rang the bell and I went out, my son was there, he was shouting ‘Dad, come out’.
“I went downstairs and saw he was full of blood, and then I was running to pick up a towel.
“I put the towel on and I was pressing to stop the blood, then my wife came out, we called the ambulance and the police.”
Mr Grover, who runs a local business, said the victim asked him to call his wife, who then arrived at the house.
“His wife, she mentioned he went to the pub, I don’t know what happened in the pub just around the corner, he came back, was on his way back and somebody stabbed him twice, stabbed him two times with a knife on the stomach and on his side,” he said.
A crime scene and multiple road closures are in place in the area, Scotland Yard said on Saturday evening.
A teenager found dead in Malaysia after vanishing from a family holiday died from internal bleeding probably caused by prolonged hunger and stress, a post-mortem has revealed.
Nora Quoirin’s body was found beside a stream about 1.6 miles (2.5km) from the jungle resort of Dusun on Tuesday.
Malaysian Police said there was no suspicion of abduction or foul play.
The 15-year-old’s body was discovered following a 10-day search after she disappeared on 4 August.
The teenager died two or three days before she was found, police believe.
Nora was born with holoprosencephaly, a disorder which affects brain development, and had been described by her family as vulnerable.
Her parents had previously said they didn’t believe she would have wandered off alone and suspected she had been abducted.
Negeri Sembilan state police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop, said: “For the time being, there is no element of abduction or kidnapping.”
He said: “The cause of death was upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to duodenal ulcer, complicated with perforation.”
Further analysis would be carried out on samples taken from her body, he said, adding that Nora’s family was free to take her home.
Speaking after her body was found, Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin, Nora’s Irish-French parents, said their “hearts are broken” and paid tribute to their daughter as “the truest, most precious girl”.
They said Nora, who lived in London, had “truly touched the world” after her disappearance sparked a huge search operation in Malaysia and good wishes from across the globe.
A book of condolence was opened on Wednesday in Belfast, where Mrs Quoirin is from.
Nora Quoirin disappearance: Timeline
- 3 August: The Quoirins arrive at the Dusun forest eco-resort
- 4 August: Nora disappears from her room
- 5 August: The Lucie Blackman Trust says Malaysian police are treating Nora’s disappearance as a potential abduction, but officers deny any foul play is involved
- 6 August: Nora’s family say they believe she has been abducted
- 11 August: Malaysian police set up a hotline dedicated to receiving information about teenager
- 12 August: A reward of £10,000 – donated by an anonymous Belfast business – is made available for information leading to Nora’s safe return
- 13 August: A body is found in the search for Nora
A heavily pregnant woman who was stabbed to death in south London has been described as “a beautiful person” and “amazingly intelligent”.
Tributes have been paid to 26-year-old Kelly Mary Fauvrelle, who was pronounced dead at a house in Raymead Avenue, Croydon, on Saturday.
Her baby was delivered at the scene and is in hospital in a critical condition.
A 29-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder has been bailed until a date in early August, Scotland Yard said.
A 37-year-old man, who was also held on suspicion of murder, has been released under investigation. The Met said it was keeping an “open mind as to motive” .
Ms Fauvrelle’s brother paid tribute to her on Facebook.
In a post, Stephan Alexander Simpson, said: “Words can’t describe the pain we’re feeling. You couldn’t have been a better sister, and I thank you for always being there for me, helping whenever I needed it.
“A beautiful person who’s life has been taken from her. I’ll stay strong, you’ll always be in my thoughts, so please keep watching over us. I love you more than you can possibly imagine. Rest in peace Kelly.”
Aaleeah Knowles also paid tribute to Ms Fauvrelle, saying: “Kelly – I’m devastated to hear what happened to you. You didn’t deserve this. You were amazingly intelligent and bright and I’m just devastated.”
One Twitter user said: “I am so sorry to the family of Kelly Mary, no mother nor baby should have to be hurt in anyway let alone this way.”
Linda Onar added: “What a wicked world we are living in, how could another human being do such a callous act on a young woman pregnant with child? She had her whole life ahead of her.
“My heart goes out to the family and friends of Kelly. Just hoping and praying the little one pulls through.”
Medics fought to save Ms Fauvrelle after being called at about 03:30 BST on Saturday.
A post-mortem examination is due to be held soon, the Met said.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said it had been “a horrible weekend” where “four Londoner’s have lost their lives” including “a young mum”.
An 18-year-old also died after taking himself to hospital with stab wounds following a fight in Walworth.
“These four families are devastated,” Mr Khan said.